Jaworski, who became attractive to the Dolphins when starter Dan Marino suffered a dislocated ring finger on his passing hand, said he signed a two-year contract.
Miami Coach Don Shula said of Jaworski's acquisition: "I felt that we had to get an experienced quarterback, not that I don't have the confidence in Don Strock, but after what happened the other night I thought that something could happen to Strock in these next three games."
The Dolphins went from five to two quarterbacks in a matter of days when free agent Lanny Dycus left camp last week, then 12th-round draft choice Jim Karsatos injured his knee and Marino dislocated his ring finger in an exhibition game Sunday night.
That left veteran backups Strock and Jim Jensen.
Jaworski, 36, has thrown for 27,682 yards and 176 touchdowns in his 13-year professional career. He was released by the Eagles after last season, ending a 10-year stay with the club.
He had a tryout with the Dolphins last May, but the team didn't offer him a contract because Shula felt secure at the quarterback position.
That changed when Marino and Karsatos were injured in the exhibition opener against the Chicago Bears. Marino is expected to miss the remaining three exhibition games and return for the regular-season opener Sept. 13.
"If that happens, we'd be looking for an experienced quarterback with the season right on top of us. This way we'll bring Ron in and he'll be able to play the three preseason games," Shula said.
"When we brought him down in May, he worked right into practice and did an excellent job," Shula said. "He picked things up right away."
The Dolphins moved practice back Tuesday night to 7 p.m. to allow Jaworski time to arrive from his New Jersey home.