Three more candidates were slain in soaring pre-election violence in the Philippines, reports reaching the capital today said, and assailants hurled a grenade into the home of a fourth candidate, killing one of his relatives.
The election-related violence brought to at least 62 the number of people who have been killed during the campaign, including 29 candidates, the government-run Philippine News Agency reported.
Six candidates have been wounded and 10 others kidnaped since campaigning began last month for the Jan. 18 regional elections, when voters will choose provincial governors, mayors and other local officials.
Police said an explosion early today ripped through the home of Benjamin Arcayena, opposition candidate for town council in the Manila suburb of Makati.
Killed as She Slept
Arcayena was not home at the time of the blast, but a relative, Elvira Alison, 40, was killed as she slept. Another relative, Bernardo Latre, said the blast was apparently caused by a grenade hurled through the window.
Communist rebels with the New People's Army kidnaped and killed Tomas Pada and Teobusio Odias, pro-government candidates for vice mayor and councilor, respectively, in Matalum town as they campaigned Tuesday, according to a military report.
Police said Ceferino Lumanlan, an independent candidate for mayor of Porac, was shot and killed Wednesday night while delivering a campaign speech in Pampanga province, 50 miles northwest of Manila.
His vice-mayoral running mate was wounded in the attack.