One of five people who ate poisonous mushrooms at a dinner party underwent a liver transplant operation Friday, and two others were awaiting donors.
A woman who also ate the mushrooms received a liver transplant Thursday, and the fifth person was being watched for signs of liver damage, officials said.
All five people ate the so-called “death cap” mushrooms in a stir-fry dish served last Saturday at the home of Teresa and John Duncan. Some members of the dinner party reportedly picked the mushrooms while searching for chestnuts.
The mushrooms were Amanita phalloides , a deadly variety common in Europe but found only recently in the western United States, said Preston Alexander, president of the Oregon Mycological Society.