The holiday season brings a barrage of mail-order catalogues, radio and television commercials, newspaper and magazine advertisements, all intended to generate gift ideas for the shopper and sales for the retailer.
The J.C. Penney Co., with retail stores across the nation and mail orders a phone call away, offers some advice to make holiday shopping as pleasant and carefree as possible:
- Be organized. Develop a gift list including sizes and color preferences, decide on a budget and shop with both at your fingertips.
- Shop off hours, midweek, and leave the kids at home.
- Shop by catalogue.
- Check catalogues early and call ahead to department stores to see if specific items are available.
- Wear layered, comfortable clothing.
- Wear comfortable shoes and bring an extra pair to change at mid-shopping day.
- Consider service gifts for hard-to-buy-for people: a facial, manicure, pedicure, massage, a day at the spa, a series of exercise classes.
- If there is no time for lunch, bring along a bag of treats or nutritious finger foods such as trail mix, nuts, fruit.
- Or if you have the time, treat yourself to a restaurant you’ve been wanting to try.
- Finish the day with a reward: a cup of cappuccino, a favorite truffle or a facial.