Dr. Donald M. Small’s recipe for low-fat ground meat:
* Add 2 pounds raw ground meat (beef, pork, lamb or poultry) to one-half to one quart of vegetable oil. Heat oil to 176 degrees, and stir for about five minutes to allow oil and meat to mix. Increase heat until mixture reaches 212 to 230 degrees for five minutes and allow meat to brown.
* Place meat into strainer. Save oil for re-use.
* Pour several cups of boiling water over meat in strainer and collect runoff in container below strainer.
* Separate fat from broth in container, either by refrigerating for an hour or using a syringe.
* Return broth to meat or save it for other uses, such as soup.
* Meat can be used in tacos, spaghetti sauces, stuffed peppers, etc.