* Liz Laid Low: Elizabeth Taylor, 59,...
* Liz Laid Low: Elizabeth Taylor, 59, who became dizzy and chilled Tuesday during a promotional tour at a Houston department store, may be suffering from pneumonia, according to a doctor who examined her. “She was cold and clammy and she was shivering,” said Dr. Afsa Meredith, a lung specialist. “And her color was very bad. Apparently she had taken some medication that morning, and standing under those hot lights, she suddenly felt very dizzy and nauseated.” Taylor nearly fainted and was taken by ambulance to Methodist Hospital. She was released Tuesday and flew to California.
* Panda Power: A giant panda at a Chinese zoo gave birth Friday to a cub after being artificially inseminated. Chengcheng herself was artificially bred, and both mother and cub were in good condition at the zoo in a provincial capital.
* Tainted Trial?: Lawyers for the Houston woman convicted of hiring a hit man to kill the mother of her daughter’s cheerleading rival asked for a new trial Tuesday, partly because one of the jurors had been indicted on drug charges. Wanda Holloway’s defense team discovered that a juror was under indictment on cocaine possession charges during Holloway’s trial. Texas law prevents people from serving on juries while facing trial.
* You’re Welcome: Novelist James Michener attributes much of his success to his college days, so he sent his alma mater a $5-million thank you note. Swarthmore College in Pennsylvania hasn’t decided yet how to spend the money, President Al Bloom said Tuesday. Michener graduated in 1929, and the experience was critical: “Upon it I have built my whole intellectual life,” he said. Michener’s books include “Hawaii” and “Centennial.”