Everybody agreed Thursday that the party’s over at a Studio City mansion where advertised bashes attended by as many as 1,000 revelers drove neighbors to distraction--everybody, that is, except the host.
A lawyer for the owner and a manager of the property agreed Thursday to a court order that will ban the illegal sale of alcohol, advertising and parties after 10 p.m. or with more than 25 people at the $2.1-million home, according to Deputy City Atty. Deborah Sanchez.
But tenant Jerry Bolduc, who has staged many of the offending parties, scoffed at the claims.
“I’m not going to agree to a curfew and having 25 people,” Bolduc said. “Those weren’t the terms of my rental agreement.
“You can’t tell me I have to be in bed by 10. Get serious.”
Bolduc, who had not read a copy of the agreement, said he understood that it merely required that he and other tenants put their neighbors on notice when they plan to throw a bash.
Under the agreement, the owner must enforce the new restrictions and begin eviction proceedings immediately if the tenants violate the deal and a solution can’t be reached, Sanchez said.
Earlier in the day, Sanchez said she expects a judge to sign the permanent injunction Oct. 17, resolving a lawsuit filed by her office against the mansion’s owner, manager and tenants. Sanchez said that anyone violating the provisions could be subject to citation and arrest for contempt of court.
The agreement was signed by property manager Steven Powers and by an attorney representing owner Paul Campbell, Sanchez said. Bolduc said he had signed nothing.
Since 1990, the mansion at 3240 Wrightwood Drive has been the subject of more than 100 complaints filed with the Los Angeles Police Department.
Party-goers would block their driveways, run parking shuttles up and down their narrow road, hold elaborate theme parties and copulate and urinate on their lawns and play music at all hours of the night, neighbors said.
In an effort to pull the plug on the raucous activities, the city attorney’s office sued the mansion’s owners, managers and tenants in August for allegedly selling alcohol without a license. The lawsuit also alleged that underground parties at the mansion violated safety codes.
City prosecutors filed the lawsuit only after police raids, parking citations and undercover infiltrations proved ineffective.
The mansion, which once hosted a birthday bash that was aired on MTV, was the site of countless parties, authorities said.
Among the theme events that were held, to the dismay of neighbors, were a beach party, a toga party, a lingerie party, the Age of Aquarius Classic Disco Party, the Tax Relief party and the Day in Paradise event, which welcomed any female reader of a widely posted advertisement.
Neighbors reacted to Sanchez’s announcement Thursday with hope.
“We’re really happy,” said Margot Lachman, a resident of Wrightwood Drive. “That’s what we’ve been fighting for three years. We just hope this will be the thing that stops the parties.”