* Jan Johnson has joined Shafer Public Relations in Irvine as senior group supervisor. She had been vice president of marketing and corporate communications at Cubic Memory Inc. Before that, she was at Roberts, Mealer & Co. as vice president, public relations. Johnson also held management positions at Galusha & Associates, Ducommon Electronics and LeAnce/Herbert/Bowers.
* Shannon Darknight has joined Nelson Communications Group in Irvine as an associate. She had been a corporate communications representative for Calavo Growers of California, a fresh and processed food cooperative, and a campaign coordinator for PowerHouse, a Florida-based public relations and marketing firm.
* Edmund Sutter has been appointed director of manufacturing for GT Bicycles Inc. in Santa Ana. Before joining the company, he was engineering and manufacturing manager at Trek Bicycle Corp.
* Jeff Parker has joined Esprit Communications in Corona del Mar as a designer. He is responsible for assisting in design and production for the art and creative departments of the agency. Parker spent three years at Mall Design Advertising in Irvine, most recently as art director.
* Steve Brown has been appointed vice president of engineering and manufacturing for Irvine-based Del Mar Avionics’ Laser Optics division. Brown joined Del Mar last year as senior project manager. In addition, Ross M. Deaner has been named director of sales and marketing. He had been director of sales support at Optical Disc Corp.