Unions

Ronald Brownstein declares the "GOP Is Forced to Confront Economic Insecurity Issue," Washington Outlook, Feb. 26.

This statement is certainly applicable to either political party. But the issue is that labor, both union and nonunion (the victim of this insecurity), has no voice. The estimated (unionized) 14% of the labor force cannot speak for the remaining 86%. If "in union there is strength," it behooves the unions to reach out to unorganized labor and attempt to establish a means of joining forces to establish a united front.

I personally am no fifth columnist in the labor movement, not after going through the plumbers strike of 1957 and those of the 1960s. The rewards were certainly worth the effort, even if I lost months of wages. But after all of these years I must say that it is internal forces, and not foreign pressures, that leave the working man uneasy.

The problem is the loss of dignity of the working man, and the only way he will regain it is to organize (union and nonunion), and demand a fair share of the bounty of a wonderful country.

PIERCE J. MULLALY

Sun City

Copyright © 2019, Los Angeles Times
EDITION: California | U.S. & World
69°