Where You Can Get More Information
* Centers for Disease Control and Prevention National AIDS Hotline: (800) 342-2437 (24 hours); Spanish: (800) 344-7432; TTY / TTD: (800) 243-7889.
* Project Inform HIV / AIDS Treatment Hotline: (800) 822-7422 or (415) 558-9051.
* California HIV / AIDS Hotline (English, Spanish, Tagalog): (800) 367-AIDS; TTD: (888) 225-2437.
* National Herpes Hotline: (919) 361-8488.
* Herpes Resource Center: (800) 230-6039.
* The Advice Center: (888) 238-4238.
* LA Help: (213) 653-5725.
Other Sexually Transmitted Diseases
* CDC National STD Hotline: (800) 227-8922.
* L.A. County STD Program Hotline (English, Spanish, Cambodian): (213) 744-5949 or (800) 758-0880.
* Teen Reproductive Health Line: (888) 396-5463.
* The American Social Health Assn.: For a free brochure, “A Practical Guide for the Tongue-Tied: How to Talk With Your Health Care Provider About HPV [Human Papillomavirus] and other STDs,” call (800) 677-4100 through April 30. For other publications about HPV, call the ASHA Resource Center, (800) 230-6039.
STD testing and treatment are free and confidential at all Los Angeles County clinics:
* Antelope Valley Health Center
335-B E. Ave. K-6, Lancaster
* Yvonne Burke Health Center
2509 Pico Blvd., Santa Monica
* Central Health Center
241 N. Figueroa St., Los Angeles
* Glendale Health Center
501 N. Glendale Ave., Glendale
* Hollywood-Wilshire Health Center
5205 Melrose Ave., Los Angeles
* Monrovia Health Center
330 W. Maple Ave., Monrovia
* Pacoima Health Center
13300 Van Nuys Blvd., Pacoima
* Pomona Health Center
750 Park Ave., Pomona
* South Health Center
1522 E. 102nd St., Los Angeles
* Ruth Temple Health Center
3834 S. Western Ave., Los Angeles
* Torrance Health Center
2300 W. Carson St., Torrance
* Curtis Tucker Health Center
123 W. Manchester Blvd., Inglewood
* Whittier Health Center
7643 S. Painter Ave., Whittier
For information in Orange County locations, call the Orange County HIV and Special Diseases Department at (714) 834-8787.
For information in Ventura County, call Ventura Public Health at (805) 652-5928.
The Health Education Unit of the L.A. County Sexually Transmitted Disease Program provides the following services to the community:
Health Education Materials
* Free pamphlets, posters and booklets on STD- and HIV / AIDS-related topics are available. Call Sally Villanueva at (213) 744-5238 to request materials or a resource guide.
* Videos, slides and audio or visual equipment are available for lending. Call Roger R. Ramirez at (213) 744-5239 to make arrangements.
* STD / HIV presentations and training are provided to health professionals and staff at community-based organizations, schools and other agencies. Training is tailored to audience needs. Call Philip Phan at (213) 744-5952.
* Technical assistance is available, including review and recommendation of STD / HIV materials and curricula, and assistance with program planning, evaluation and grant writing. Contact Rajni Kaufman at (213) 744-4575.
* Limited quantities of condoms are available for free to nonprofit, community-based organizations. Agencies requiring larger quantities may participate in the STD Program’s “Condom Buying Club” to purchase bulk condoms at a reduced cost. Call Philip Phan at (213) 744-5952 for information.
* STD / HIV educational presentations and workshops are provided in English, Spanish and Cambodian to students, patients or staff of community-based organizations. Presentations and workshops are tailored to audience needs. Formats range from STD slide shows to innovative programs. Staff and educational materials are also available for health fairs. Call Philip Phan at (213) 744-5952.
* People with HIV / AIDS are available as trained presenters in classrooms and other settings through the “Positively Speaking” program. Contact Sally Villanueva at (213) 744-5238.
Educational Web Sites
* The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, https://www.cdcnac.org/stdpics.html
* Pfizer Inc., https://www.unspeakable.com/facts/facts.html
Other STD Services
* Medical consultation is provided to clinicians in the public and private sectors on the diagnosis, treatment, follow-up and referral of patients with STDs. Contact the Nursing Division at (213) 744-3106.
For more information, call the Health Education Unit at (213) 744-3070.