Fire Leaves 7 Homeless; Electrical Problem Blamed

Seven people were left homeless when an early morning blaze destroyed their home in the 600 block of North Cresthaven Drive on Monday, fire officials said.

The residents, two adults and five children, were unhurt and referred to the American Red Cross for emergency shelter, said Jim Wells, a spokesman for the Los Angeles City Fire Department.

It took 30 firefighters 20 minutes to extinguish the fire at the two-story dwelling, which was caused by an electrical problem in the garage, Wells said.

Damages are estimated to be $160,000, he said.

Four firefighters suffered minor injuries but were treated at the scene and released, he added.

Copyright © 2019, Los Angeles Times
EDITION: California | U.S. & World