Magazines are organizing larger and more innovative events to build their images and attract advertising and sponsorship dollars. Several magazines and their events, plus their corporate sponsors:
* George: Next month, John F. Kennedy Jr.'s magazine will host its first Newman's Own/George Award ceremony in New York. The magazine and actor/philanthropist Paul Newman will recognize the most generous companies in the United States.
* Hot Rod: Last month, the magazine held its Power Festival in Florida, displaying hundreds of "street machines." Awards were given to the 50 best vehicles.
Sponsors: B.F. Goodrich, Genuine Chevrolet
* Vibe: The urban music and lifestyle magazine is expanding its music seminar beyond New York, where it has been held for the last three years, to Atlanta and Washington.
Sponsors (New York event): BMG Entertainment, Coach, Seagram, Starter, Johnny Walker Black, Tommy Hilfiger, Columbia, Sony, Motown, Bad Boy Entertainment, Arista and La Face
* Time: Starting in April, the news weekly will publish the first of six issues on "People of the Century." In the meantime, it will hold symposiums in several cities to discuss the matter with leaders in different fields.
Sponsors: Chrysler, Lucent Technologies, Discover Card and State Farm
* Car and Driver: The magazine will hold a traveling exhibit in 20 cities, showcasing its picks for the top 10 cars of the year.
Sponsors: BMW, Dodge and Mazda