The Insurance Marketplace Standards Assn., created by life insurers, has set six basic principles of conduct required for insurers to receive its certification:
* Do business with high standards of honesty and fairness and give customers the kind of service the company would demand for itself.
* Provide competent sales and service that focus on individual customers' needs.
* Compete actively and fairly.
* Use advertising and sales materials that are clear, honest and fair.
* Handle customer complaints and disputes fairly and expeditiously.
* Maintain a system of supervision and review to ensure that the company complies with the principles.