In honor of National Sleep Awareness Week, which starts today, here are some guidelines for getting a better night's (or day's, if you work nights) sleep:
* Go to sleep at the same time and wake up at the same time.
* Avoid naps.
* Avoid caffeinated drinks (coffees, teas, colas) and foods (chocolate) in the hours preceding bedtime.
* Avoid the regular use of alcoholic beverages to help you sleep.
* Avoid or give up smoking.
* Exercise regularly, but not within three hours of bedtime.
* Use the bed only for sleep and sex.
* Get out of bed if you can't fall asleep within 30 minutes.
Source: National Sleep Foundation: http://www.sleepfoundation.org.