NATIONAL BRIEFING / TEXAS
A federal contractor plans to begin searching next month for unexploded munitions thought to be spread across 14,000 acres of East Texas.
That land, now privately owned, was once part of a World War II infantry training center called Camp Fannin.
Officials say the cleanup by Zapata Inc. could find small-arms ammunition, mines, grenades, rockets and mortars -- all used when Camp Fannin was an active military facility from 1943 to 1946.
The camp was returned to private landowners when it was deemed unnecessary after World War II, leaving unexploded ordnance across the area.