SKorean minister: Torpedo likely sank warship
SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — A South Korean minister says a torpedo was the likely cause of an explosion that sank a warship near the tense border with North Korea last month.
Defense Minister Kim Tae-young told reporters Sunday that he believes “the bubble jet effect caused by a heavy torpedo is the most likely” cause of the incident.
Seoul has not directly blamed North Korea for the blast but suspicion remains given the country’s history of provocation and attacks on the South.
The Cheonan was on a routine patrol on March 26 when the unexplained explosion split it in two in one of South Korea’s worst naval disasters. At least 40 sailors died.