A desert retreat once owned by screen legend Cary Grant has sold in The Movie Colony area of Palm Springs for $3.4 million, the priciest sale historically for the neighborhood named for the Hollywood stars who lived there decades ago.
Called Las Palomas, or the Doves, the home was a gathering spot for celebrities and Hollywood elite during Grant's ownership. Among those entertained at the retreat were Alfred Hitchcock, Katharine Hepburn, Frank Sinatra and Grace Kelly.
Set behind gates, the scenic estate centers on a Spanish Andalusian farmhouse designed by architect John Byers for Dr. Jacob John Kocher in 1930. A swimming pool and spa, a motor court, 80-year-old eucalyptus, agave and a variety of fruit trees fill the 1.5-acre grounds.
Restored in 2009, the 6,000-square-foot house features such details as thick whitewashed walls, hand-painted tile, custom cabinetry and wood-burning fireplaces. A living room with wood-beam ceilings, a formal dining room, a vintage kitchen, six bedrooms, five full bathrooms and a powder room are among living spaces.
The master suite has a fireplace and balconies that overlook grounds.
Grant, who died in 1986 at 82, was a leading man in such films as "North by Northwest" (1959), "To Catch a Thief" (1955) and "Notorious" (1946).
Eric Lavey and Mauricio Umansky of The Agency and Mike Patakas of HOM Sotheby's International Realty shared the listing. Keith Markovitz of TTK Represents, HKLane — Christie's International Real Estate, represented the buyer.
The exact sale price was $3,400,001.