A Hancock Park home built for Harry Warner, the eldest of the four brothers who founded Warner Bros. studios, has come to market for $5.575 million.
Commissioned by the studio executive in 1923, the stately Georgian Colonial was designed by architect A. Burnside Sturges and completed the following year. Warner's stay was short-lived, however — he sold the house two years later to finance "The Jazz Singer" (1927), one of the first feature-length films to incorporate synchronized sound.
Sited on more than half an acre, the 14-room house retains its vintage curb appeal. The symmetrical, brick-lined house is reached by paver steps flanked by sets of slender pillars. A Juliet balcony and decorative crown top the front door.
The roughly 5,600 square feet of interiors includes a formal entry with a grand central staircase with gilded banisters. Curved glass doors off the entry open on one side to a formal dining room and, on the other, to a living room with marble fireplace. An updated kitchen sits off the dining area.
Elsewhere is a family room with herringbone wood floors and a wood-paneled lounge/screening room. The staircase leads up to a small sitting area topped by a stained glass skylight.
Among the seven bedrooms and 5.5 baths is a master suite with a fireplace and a sitting area. Another bath draws the eye with rose-colored tile.
A gated sports/tennis court, a swimming pool, a pool house and lawns fill the hedged and gated grounds.
The house last changed hands six years ago for $2.95 million, property records show.
Brenda Chandler Cooke of Hilton & Hyland, an affiliate of Christie's International Real Estate, holds the listing.