Stanford, behind Christian McCaffrey, dominates Iowa in the 102nd Rose Bowl game
The Iowa and Stanford football teams, whose programs date to 1889 and 1892, met for the first time today in the 102nd Rose Bowl game. The sixth-ranked Cardinal jumped on the fifth-ranked Hawkeyes on the first play from scrimmage with a 75-yard touchdown strike to Christian McCaffrey. Before Iowa knew it, they were down 21-0 and struggling in the pass game, run game and on special teams.
At halftime, Stanford enjoyed a 35-0 lead and the only questions that remained were how ugly the final score would actually be, and how many records McCaffrey would break.
Stanford won the game 45-16 as the Hawkeyes scored a couple late touchdowns. McCaffrey took home the Offensive Player of the Game as Aziz Shittu grabbed the honor for Defensive Player of the Game. Shittu had 10 tackles -- 3.5 for losses -- and 1.5 sacks.
Coin toss: Stanford wins and takes the ball.
- 75-yard touchdown pass to Christian McCaffrey (Stanford 7 - Iowa 0) 14:49
- Kevin Hogan carries it in for an 8-yard touchdown (Stanford 14 - Iowa 0) 9:13
- Quenton Meeks intercepts a C.J. Beathard pass 66 yards for touchdown (Stanford 21 - Iowa 0) 5:00
- McCaffrey returns punt 63 yards for touchdown (Stanford 28 - Iowa 0) 14:12
- Michael Rector catches a 31-yard touchdown pass off of a “fake fumble” (Stanford 35 - Iowa 0) 8:22
- Stanford’s Conrad Ukropina kicks a 31-yard field goal (Stanford 38 - Iowa 0) 11:09
- Marshall Koehn puts Iowa on the board with a 39-yard field goal (Stanford 38 - Iowa 3) 3:36
- C.J. Beathard connects with Matt VandeBerg for a 36-yard touchdown pass - missed extra point (Stanford 38 - Iowa 9) 13:12
- Akrum Wadley catches a swing pass from Beathard for a 31-yard touchdown pass (Stanford 38 - Iowa 16) 2:46
- Rector catches another touchdown pass for Stanford. This one is 42 yards (Stanford 45 - Iowa 16) 1:54