Compton school official accused of sexual assault is urged to step down


Community leaders called for the resignation of school board member Skyy Fisher on Friday, a day after he was released from jail on suspicion of sexually assaulting a man who was alseep.

Activist Najee Ali said Fisher “has become an embarrassment for the city of Compton and [the] school board.” He demanded Fisher immediately step down.

“Fisher’s behavior by a publicly elected official has been disgraceful,” Ali said. He “should not be working around our children.”


Fisher was arrested after a male friend reported Fisher performed oral sex on him while he was sleep, according to the arrest warrant filed Tuesday in San Diego County Superior Court.

The two men were sharing a room during a trip to San Diego in April. Each had a separate bed, but the victim said that when he woke up, he found Fisher sexually assaulting him, according to the warrant.

Fisher pretended to be asleep when the victim confronted him. An argument ensued, and the victim punched Fisher in his face.

The victim reported the incident and a DNA sample was collected. On April 18, the victim returned to the Police Department to identify Fisher by photo as the suspect.

While the victim was with police, Fisher called him, and the call was recorded. Fisher “admitted to [the victim] he didn’t know why he orally copulated him,” according to the warrant.

In May, a search warrant was issued to collect a DNA sample from Fisher. It was confirmed a few weeks later that the DNA collected on the victim matched Fisher’s, according to court documents.

On Wednesday, U.S. Marshals arrested Fisher at his job in downtown Los Angeles, Fisher said in a televised interview. He was booked at Vista Detention Center in San Diego County on suspicion of oral copulation of an unconscious person.

Bail was set at $100,000, and he was released the next morning. Fisher did respond to requests for comment Friday.

He has been a controversial figure on the Compton Unified School Board of Trustees since he was elected in 2011. City leaders and residents asked him to resign after he used a homophobic slur to refer to Trayvon Martin in a podcast in 2012.

Fisher later used a pejorative term to describe the school district’s superintendent. In November, he was arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence. That case is still pending.

Satra Zurita, vice president of the school board, said she hopes Fisher’s case is resolved quickly. “I am saddened by the allegation,” Zurita said.

“This is going to be a major distraction from the great progress that we’re making in the Compton Unified School District.”

For more news on Compton, follow @LATangel.