The Los Angeles City Council has approved a plan that would radically alter the Hollywood skyline despite warnings from state officials about the project's proximity to an earthquake fault line.
Join us at 9 a.m. when we talk with Times reporter Kate Linthicum about the council's vote and what it means for development in one of Los Angeles' most iconic neighborhoods.
The 13-0 vote Wednesday in favor of the Hollywood Millennium project allows New York-based developer Millennium Partners to build two skyscrapers and more than 1 million square feet of office, hotel and retail space on several vacant parking lots surrounding the iconic Capitol Records building.
Mayor Eric Garcetti, who was a champion of new development in Hollywood during his three terms representing the neighborhood on the City Council, announced Wednesday that he would sign the deal.
Newly elected Councilman Mitch O'Farrell, who took Garcetti's seat, said the project would create jobs and new tax revenue for the city and draw new residents and tourists to the area.
The project's only vocal opponent at City Hall, Councilman Tom LaBonge, was not present at Wednesday's meeting because of a death in his family.
O'Farrell read a statement from LaBonge. In it, LaBonge said he would not have voted for the project if he had been present. "I feel the height of the two towers is too tall and out of scale with the character of Hollywood," he said. LaBonge added that he worried about the impact of traffic in the Hollywood Hills, a large swath of which he represents.