Doctors: Police officer stabbed in neck at airport recovering well


The Flint, Mich., airport police officer stabbed in the neck during what authorities are investigating as a terrorist act is recovering well from a 12-inch slash that caused significant bleeding but spared major arteries and a nerve by “millimeters,” one of his doctors said Friday.

Hurley Medical Center doctors said during a news conference that Bishop International Airport police Lt. Jeff Neville could be released from the hospital within a couple days. Dr. Donald Scholten said Neville was making good progress after being cuton right side of his neck from beside his Adam’s apple to the angle of his jaw.

“This was a matter of millimeters,” Scholten said. “The slash was probably very, very close to severing his major arteries and nerve — perhaps even his windpipe and digestive systems …. This was not a shaving nick, if you will. This was significant force.”


Neville was stabbed Wednesday at the airport in Flint, about 50 miles northwest of Detroit. Amor Ftouhi, 49, a Canadian from Tunisia, is charged in the attack. Detroit FBI head David Gelios said Ftouhi unsuccessfully tried to buy a gun after entering the U.S. but instead managed to acquire a large knife.

Authorities say Ftouhi stabbed Neville after yelling, “Allahu akbar,” the Arabic phrase for “God is great.” According to the FBI, Ftouhi said something similar to, “You have killed people in Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan, and we are all going to die.”

Ftouhi was immediately taken into custody and charged with committing violence at an airport. Acting U.S. Atty. Dan Lemisch said more charges would be filed in the days ahead. Ftouhi is in custody and has a bond hearing scheduled next week.

Neville “fought him to the end,” managing to stop the attack and take Ftouhi to the ground as other officers arrived to help, according to Chris Miller, the airport police chief. Scholten also credited first responders, saying their efforts to control Neville’s bleeding were “absolutely life-saving.”

Investigators are working to learn more about Ftouhi, whom they describe as a lone-wolf attacker who made his way to the seemingly random destination of Flint, a struggling city once known for its sprawling General Motors factories but now better known for lead-tainted water.

He was a part-time caretaker at the Montreal apartment building where he lived and had once studied to sell insurance, a landlord and an insurance company spokesman said. Ftouhi indicated to court officials that he has lived in Canada for 10 years and has three children. A pretrial services officer told a judge that he had worked on and off as a truck driver. He indicated “no mental or physical health problems and no drug or alcohol use,” the officer, Linsey Carson, said.


Police in Canada were searching Ftouhi’s Montreal apartment. Montreal police spokesman Benoit Boiselle said officers were assisting the Royal Canadian Mounted Police in the search on behalf of an FBI request. Three people staying at the residence had been taken in for questioning, Boiselle said.

Ftouhi legally entered the U.S. at Champlain, N.Y., on June 16 and was in Michigan by at least June 18, said Gellios, who would not say whether Ftouhi entered the U.S. under a so-called trusted traveler program.

He spent some time in public, unsecured areas of the airport before going to a restroom where he dropped two bags before attacking the officer with a 12-inch knife that had an eight-inch serrated blade, Gelios said.

Ftouhi asked an officer who subdued him why he did not kill him, according to the criminal complaint. Police described the man as “cooperative” and said he was talking to investigators.


Accused Flint stabber was truck driver, married father of 3


FBI: No ‘wider plot’ suspected in Michigan airport stabbing

Canadian charged in US airport attack investigated as terror