Alabama defeats Clemson, 45-40, to win College Football Playoff title
Alabama defeated Clemson, 45-40, in the College Football Playoff championship game on Monday in Glendale, Ariz. to give Coach Nick Saban his fifth national title, including four in the last seven seasons.
Crimson Tide tight end O.J. Howard had 208 yards receiving and two touchdowns while Heisman Trophy winner Derrick Henry scored three times.
Clemson quarterback Deshaun Watson passed for 405 yards with four touchdown throws and rushed for another 73 yards in the Tigers’ first loss of the season. Receiver Hunter Renfrow caught seven passes for 88 yards, two of those were touchdown receptions in the first quarter.
Coin toss: Clemson wins the toss and defers. The Tigers will receive the ball to start the second half.
- Derrick Henry runs 50 yards for a touchdown (Alabama 7, Clemson 0) 7:55
- Hunter Renfrow catches a 31-yard pass from Deshaun Watson for a touchdown (Alabama 7, Clemson 7) 5:18
- Hunter Renfrow catches an 11-yard pass from Deshaun Watson for a touchdown (Clemson 14, Alabama 7) 0:00
- Derrick Henry dives into the end zone for a touchdown from the one-yard line (Clemson 14, Alabama 14) 9:35
- O.J. Howard catches a deep pass from Jake Coker and goes 53 yards for a touchdown (Alabama 21, Clemson 14) 12:53
- Greg Huegel hits a 37 yard field goal (Alabama 21, Clemson 17) 10:10
- Wayne Gallman runs one-yard for a touchdown (Clemson 24, Alabama 21) 4:48
- Adam Griffith makes a 33 yard field goal (Clemson 24, Alabama 24) 10:34
- O.J. Howard catches a 51 yard pass from Joke Coker for a touchdown (Alabama 31, Clemson 24) 9:45
- Greg Huegel makes a 31 yard field goal (Alabama 31, Clemson 27) 7:47
- Kenyan Drake returns kickoff 95 yards for a touchdown (Alabama 38, Clemson 27) 7:31
- Artavis Scott catches a 15 yard throw from Deshaun Watson for a touchdown -- Clemson failed to convert the two-point try (Alabama 38, Clemson 33) 4:40
- Derrick Henry goes one yard for a touchdown (Alabama 45, Clemson 33) 1:07
- Jordan Leggett catches a 24-yard pass for a touchdown (Alabama 45, Clemson 40) 0:12