Trump administration to triple aid to Venezuela
The Trump administration is more than tripling U.S. support for pro-democracy work in Venezuela and for the first time directly funding opposition leader Juan Guaido as he attempts to set up a government to rival the administration of Nicolas Maduro.
The $52 million in new aid was announced Tuesday by Mark Green, the administrator of the U.S. Agency for International Development, after a meeting in New York with Guaido’s envoy Carlos Vecchio, whom the Trump administration recognizes as Venezuela’s ambassador in Washington.
The funding was mostly repurposed from aid originally earmarked for Honduras and Guatemala that President Trump cut last year after accusing the Central American countries of failing to stem the flow of migrants to the U.S.
The funding boost shows the level of U.S. support for Guaido, who has drawn recognition as Venezuela’s rightful leader by more than 50 nations. But he has been unable to translate the international support and relative popularity at home into political power as Venezuelans continue to struggle with hyperinflation and an economic collapse akin to the destruction wrought by war.
A senior Trump administration official said the new U.S. aid package seeks to address that deficit, providing about $19 million to pay for secure communication devices, travel stipends and training in budget planning and other tools to effectively govern should Maduro be forced from power.
The U.S. official spoke on condition of anonymity because he is not authorized to publicly discuss details of the aid package.
Guaido’s team said in a statement that it would not administer the money directly or give it to any institution or political party. It said it hoped to work with the U.S. in the coming days to decide how the funds would be spent and leave it to the American authorities to distribute the funds and audit their use.
The decision aimed at boosting transparency comes after a string of accusations earlier this year that Venezuelan opposition groups mismanaged humanitarian aid for migrants in Colombia.
The Trump administration had budgeted $9 million during the 2017 fiscal year and $15 million in 2018 to promote a free press, the monitoring of human rights abuses and anti-corruption initiatives — work by civil society groups that will be greatly expanded by the additional funding.
A U.S.-backed uprising in April by a cadre of security forces failed to break the armed forces’ loyalty to Maduro and his socialist government. The embattled president in recent days has gone on the offensive, announcing a deal with a small group of minority opposition parties to reshape the nation’s electoral council and other reforms after talks with Guaido sponsored by Norway broke down.
Trump, speaking at the United Nations on Tuesday, delivered a sharp warning to Venezuela, declaring that he awaited the day “when Venezuela will be free and when liberty will prevail throughout this hemisphere.” He also called socialism “the wrecker of nations” and “destroyer of societies.”
His call came just a day after the United States and more than a dozen Latin American countries agreed to investigate and arrest associates and senior officials of Maduro’s government who are suspected of crimes such as drug trafficking, money laundering and financing terrorism.
The funding announced Tuesday is in addition to hundreds of millions of dollars already committed by the U.S. to support the more than 4 million vulnerable Venezuelans who have fled to Colombia, Peru, Ecuador and other Latin American nations.
The United Kingdom, meanwhile, announced a major boost in aid for Venezuela, responding to a U.N. call for donors to give $223 million to support a humanitarian response this year.
The U.K. pledged $33 million on top of the $15.9 million it announced earlier this year. The funds will go to organizations delivering medicine, vaccinations and clean water in Venezuela and neighboring countries hosting millions of Venezuelans who have fled the crisis.
The U.K. said it would not reveal which groups are receiving the funds for security reasons.
“The people of Venezuela are needlessly suffering as a direct result of Maduro’s refusal to accept the scale of his country’s worsening humanitarian crisis,” said Alok Sharma, the U.K.'s international development secretary.
Must-read stories from the L.A. Times
Get the day's top news with our Today's Headlines newsletter, sent every weekday morning.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.