Casey Anthony leaves jail for parts unknown

ORLANDO, Fla. — With the exception of a few moments when she walked out of jail early Sunday, Casey Anthony has not appeared in public as a free woman. Her whereabouts is a mystery.

Defense lawyer Jose Baez wanted to use Anthony’s parents, George and Cindy Anthony, as a decoy during her release, their lawyer, Mark Lippman, told a television station.

“And I, of course, did not agree with that, and neither did my clients,” said Lippman, who did not elaborate on the decoy plans. “One, it was risky at best, and two, just in my opinion, something that would not be beneficial to anybody.”

On Sunday, pastor Eddie DelValle led a Peace Walk for Caylee — sponsored by the New York-based nonprofit Bring Kids Home — from the memorial where Caylee Anthony’s remains were found in December 2008 to the nearby Anthony home.


DelValle said the walk was conceived because many of those who visited the site were angry with Anthony’s acquittal on charges of killing Caylee, her 2-year-old daughter.

“I wanted to put it all to a close today,” DelValle said. “This is no longer about the case; this is about moving forward.”

The walk was a stark contrast to the scene at the jail moments after midnight Saturday, where hundreds of people chanted “Killer!” and some ran after the SUV that carried Anthony away.

Anthony, 25, looked up and down and straight ahead but didn’t show any emotion. She was led by Baez and had three police officers around her.


She has no restrictions on her freedom. It’s not clear where she will go, but she is likely to have tight security. The lawyer representing her in a defamation case said he received seven threats against Anthony on Friday alone.

Her parents reportedly have said she will not be allowed in their home. Her defense team accused her father of molesting her and then covering up what they said was Caylee’s accidental drowning death. He has denied both claims, and neither has been substantiated.

Anthony did not report her daughter missing for a month and was arrested after telling a string of lies — first to her parents and then to police. Caylee’s remains were found about six months after she vanished.

A coroner could not determine the cause of death, which figured in Anthony’s July 5 acquittal on murder charges. She was convicted of lying to investigators and sentenced to four years. With credit for the nearly three years she had spent in jail since August 2008, and for good behavior, she had only days remaining when she was sentenced July 7.


The Associated Press contributed to this report.