Los Angeles officials are expected to announce a $50,000 reward Tuesday in the suspected abduction of a 2-year-old Boyle Heights boy, which prompted an Amber Alert last month.
Edwin's mother had legal custody of the child and told authorities that Abraham Vargas, her ex-boyfriend, took off with the boy in a Nissan minivan in the 1000 block of South Lorena Street. The mother said she had briefly left the van to get another child, according to police.
The Orange Nissan Quest was later found in East Los Angeles.
Councilman Jose Huizar, who represents Boyle Heights, is scheduled to announce the reward with family members and authorities on Tuesday at the LAPD's Hollenbeck Station in the 2100 block of East 1st Street.
The reward will be for information leading to the safe return of Edwin and the arrest and prosecution of Abraham Vargas, police said.
Anyone with information is asked to call Det. Victoria Mulder at (323) 342-8978 or Lt. Anthony Zamora at (323) 342-8906.