Last week, Marion “Suge” Knight's attorney said
After the so-called "Fight of the Century" ended Saturday, many disappointed viewers who paid $100 for what many considered a snoozer might have agreed that the greatest suspense arose from the question: Would the boxer nicknamed "Money" actually pony up the money to bail out Knight?
On Monday, that question was far from resolved.
In a text message to the Los Angeles Times, the ex-music producer's attorney, Matthew Fletcher, said: "Haven't heard or asked.... Been out of town."
Mayweather's camp and promoters have not responded to requests for comment.
But the possibility of Knight's being set free with Mayweather's help sparked a flurry of interest on social media.
"@SugeKnight did Mayweather bail you out yet," one man tweeted.
Plenty is riding on whether Mayweather will pay Knight's bail.
Fletcher said last week that Mayweather was not only one of Knight's wealthiest friends, but he was also a good friend. Knight was praying for a win, he said.
If the bail money is offered, there is not much that can be done to stop his release, even though prosecutors have tried to make it nearly unattainable.
The Los Angeles County district attorney's office declined to talk about Mayweather's proposition.
"We're not going to comment on rumor and speculation," spokeswoman Jane Robison said. "We have not been notified by the court of any pending bail hearings."
When Knight turned himself into authorities in January in connection with a deadly hit-and-run in Compton, he was held without bail after Los Angeles County sheriff's officials argued he was a flight risk, had witness intimidation issues" and had an extensive criminal past.
Knight is now accused of deliberately running over
Later, Knight's bail was set at $25 million after prosecutors contended the Death Row Records cofounder has been implicated in robberies, extortion, money laundering, assaults, witness intimidation and battery in the past, an affidavit filed by the prosecutor said.
At the time, prosecutor Cynthia Barnes said she didn't believe the $25-million bail amount was high enough.
Then following a preliminary hearing, a superior court judge lowered Knight's bail to the current $10 million, saying there was enough evidence to order Knight to stand trial, but not enough to justify $25-million bail.
If Knight posts bail, he must show the source of the bail and that it's not connected to any criminal conduct.
Because Knight's case is an "extraordinary situation," whoever paid his bail would probably have to pay the entire $10-million amount, not a deposit as in traditional bond circumstances, said attorney Ambrosio E. Rodriguez, a former Riverside County prosecutor.
If he were to be released, Knight could face certain limitations, including being required to wear a GPS monitor, house arrest as well as restricting his travel in California and Los Angeles County.
"If someone puts up the bail, Mr. Knight has to be released," he said.