A look at the top 25 high schools football teams in the Southland:
Rk. School (W-L) Result Next game (last week’s ranking)
1. MATER DEI (3-0) def. Bergen Catholic, 62-14 | vs. Stockton St. Mary's (at Levi's Stadium, Santa Clara), Saturday (1)
2. ST. JOHN BOSCO (3-1) def. Dorsey, 69-14 | at Washington (D.C.) St. John's, Saturday (2)
3. CORONA CENTENNIAL (3-1) def.Read more
There’s a family in Norwalk committed to old-fashion neighborhood loyalty that’s providing plenty of inspiration.
Desiree and Robert Penny moved to Norwalk from South Los Angeles 12 years ago to raise four boys and a girl. Each one has attended Norwalk schools. All four boys have played football , and three are still playing.
There’s Elijhaa Penny, 24, a running back with the Arizona Cardinals.Read more
When the City Section football season began, Harbor City Narbonne and Dorsey were considered the clear favorites in Division I. Four weeks later, there’s uncertainty regarding both teams and opportunities for others to step into contention.
Narbonne (2-2) was routed by Corona Centennial, 52-6, on Friday night. The Gauchos’ passing attack has struggled against top defenses.Read more
Watch as Bishop Gorman (Nev.) hosts De La Salle (Calif.) in a high school football matchup on Saturday, Sept. 16. Kickoff scheduled for 7 p.m.
Find and watch the best high school sports content live on The Cube. Follow your favorite schools in the area or around the country to get alerts anytime a sporting event is live as well as view any archived content from the past.Read more
How The Times’ top 25 high school teams fared on Friday night:
Rk. School (W-L) Result Next game
1. MATER DEI (3-0) vs. Oradell (N.J.) Bergen, today vs. Stockon St. Mary’s (at Levi’s Stadium), Sept. 23
2. ST. JOHN BOSCO (2-1) vs. Dorsey (at Mission Viejo), today vs. Washington (DC) St. John’s, Sept. 23
3. CORONA CENTENNIAL (3-1) def. Narbonne, 52-6 at Eastvale Roosevelt, Oct. 6
Act II of last season’s CIF Southern Section Division II championship game between San Clemente and Murrieta Valley struck a familiar theme in that points were going to be scored.
The outcome was also familiar as No. 13 San Clemente defeated 18th-ranked Murrieta Valley 62-27 on Friday night in a nonleague home game at San Clemente High.Read more