Total time: 45 minutes, plus 1 1/2 to 2 hours cooking time for the beans
Note: Pimentón de la vera, smoked Spanish paprika, is available at select gourmet markets and cooking stores.
Servings: 6 to 8
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1/4 pound diced pancetta or Spanish chorizo
1 onion, diced (about 1 cup)
4 cloves garlic, minced, divided
1 pound dried Great Northern beans
7 cups water
1 pound peeled medium shrimp
1 teaspoon pimentón de la vera
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 bunch dandelion greens, chopped (or Swiss chard, mustard greens or kale)
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the pancetta and cook, stirring frequently, until it begins to brown and render its fat, about 3 minutes. Add the onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add 3 cloves of minced garlic (about 2 tablespoons) and cook until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
3. Add the dried beans and water, cover tightly and bring to a simmer. When the water is simmering, stir and place in the oven. Bake for 1 hour before stirring in 1 teaspoon of salt. Cover again and return to the oven to cook, stirring occasionally, until the beans are tender, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours total.
4. Meanwhile, season the shrimp with the pimentón, ground cumin, the remaining 1 clove minced garlic and one-half teaspoon of salt. Heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and, when it is very hot, add the shrimp. Cook, stirring constantly, until the shrimp are bright red on the outside and firm, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and reserve.
5. When the beans are tender, stir the shrimp and the chopped dandelion greens into the stew. Cook just long enough to wilt the greens, about 5 minutes. Season to taste, adding first salt and then the sherry vinegar, adding it about one-fourth teaspoon at a time. It will take only about 1 teaspoon total. The stew shouldn't taste noticeably sour, just more complex.
Each of 8 servings: 353 calories; 28 grams protein; 35 grams carbohydrates; 11 grams fiber; 12 grams fat; 3 grams saturated fat; 123 mg. cholesterol; 763 mg. sodium.