Brett Favre helps ESPN wrap up huge year with ‘Monday Night Football’


This article was originally on a blog post platform and may be missing photos, graphics or links. See About archive blog posts.

Thanks to a couple of really big games from ageless quarterback Brett Favre, Walt Disney Co.’s sports cable channel ESPN had its best season ever carrying the National Football League’s ‘Monday Night Football’ franchise.

ESPN, which shells out about $1.1 billion a year for its football package, said ‘Monday Night Football’ was the most-watched show on cable television this fall. This is ESPN’s fourth year of ‘Monday Night Football,’ and its current deal expires after the 2013 season.


With a price tag of almost $4 per subscriber, ESPN is the most expensive cable network for cable and satellite distributors. That being the case, having strong ratings is key for the channel to justify its high cost. For Walt Disney Co., which owns 80% of ESPN, the cable channel is a crucial revenue driver. Hearst Corp. owns the remaining 20%.

For the season, ESPN’s 17 games averaged 14.4 million viewers, a 20% increase over its 2008 season. Its finale on Monday night, which featured a tight match between Favre’s Minnesota Vikings and archrival Chicago Bears averaged almost 12 million viewers, impressive given that the week between Christmas and New Years usually has small viewership.ESPN’s biggest telecast was the Oct. 5 match between the Vikings and Favre’s longtime team, the Green Bay Packers. The game drew 21.9 million viewers, a record for a cable network, and it easily beat all other programming including what was on the bigger broadcast networks. It was only the second time that a cable show had beaten the broadcast networks during the traditional September-to-May television season.

Overall, ratings for football have been strong performers on all the outlets that carry the games. News Corp.’s Fox, General Electric Co.’s NBC and CBS have had strong seasons. CBS, which carries the Super Bowl this season, has just about sold all the commercials for the game.

The downside is, of course, that the NFL will have a lot of leverage when the contracts for football are up for renewal.

-- Joe Flint