Facing the loss of its soaps, Hoover pulls advertising from ABC
This article was originally on a blog post platform and may be missing photos, graphics or links. See About archive blog posts.
Millions of soap opera fans aren’t the only ones who had the rug pulled out from under them.
Hoover, the vacuum cleaner company, said it was yanking its advertising from Walt Disney Co.-owned ABC after the network’s decision last week to sweep two of its three soap operas off its daytime schedule.
‘My wife and mother are both passionate viewers of ‘All My Children’ and ‘One Life to Live,’ as are many of my colleagues here at Hoover,’ marketing executive Brian Kirkendall wrote this week on Hoover’s Facebook page.
Kirkendall said Hoover would vacuum all of its commercials off ABC by Friday. ‘We’re making every attempt to pull our spots from these programs sooner,’ he wrote.
Kirkendall was not available Tuesday. The network declined to comment.
Hoover also set up an email address, SaveTheSoaps@hoover.com, to compile email from consumers who are upset about ABC’s decision to cancel the two dramas that have been anchors of ABC’s daytime schedule for more than 40 years.
Whether Hoover’s campaign is a clever marketing ploy, or simply was a sympathetic voice among a sea of anguished viewers -- it worked.
‘Way to go Hoover! You made a fan of me!,’ wrote one woman on Hoover’s Facebook page.
‘Hoover, you are by far the best!!! I’m getting a new Hoover this weekend,’ wrote another.
-- Meg James