‘Clybourne Park’ will move from Taper to Broadway after all
This article was originally on a blog post platform and may be missing photos, graphics or links. See About archive blog posts.
The acclaimed production of playwright Bruce Norris’ ‘Clybourne Park,’ now playing at the Mark Taper Forum, will move to Broadway this spring after all, despite a well-publicized spat between Norris and a producer of the show that threatened to sideline the show.
‘Clybourne Park is on,’ said Jordan Roth, president of Jujamcyn Theaters, in a brief statement Thursday night. ‘It is a true privilege to bring such a fiercely provocative and wildly funny work to Broadway audiences.’
Leading Broadway and Hollywood producer Scott Rudin withdrew as a producer of the play earlier this week after Norris, who is also an actor, decided not to take a part in Rudin’s HBO adaptation of Jonathan Franzen’s novel ‘The Corrections.’
The withdrawal threatened the show’s plan to transfer from Los Angeles, where artistic director Michael Ritchie has called it one of the theater’s biggest hits in recent years. A theater spokeswoman said ‘Clybourne Park’ has been playing to 77% capacity houses.
‘We are clearly pleased that Jordan Roth and his team were able to move so quickly and aggressively to put this show back on the path to a further life,’ Ritchie said. ‘We are extremely proud of this play and production and are thrilled that it will have the chance to be seen by an even larger audience.’
The play had been expected to be a contender for this year’s Tony Award for best play.
Check back with Culture Monster for more developments.
Caption: Cast members Frank Ross, Damon Gupton and Crystal A. Dickinson in a scene from ‘Clybourne Park’ at the Mark Taper Forum. Credit: Lawrence K. Ho/Los Angeles Times
Feud Clouds fate of ‘Clybourne Park’