Martha Stewart’s chow chow puppy perishes in Pennsylvania kennel fire

Share via

This article was originally on a blog post platform and may be missing photos, graphics or links. See About archive blog posts.

Martha Stewart is among the grieving owners who lost their pets in an accidental fire at a Pennsylvania boarding kennel. The kennel, called Pazzazz, was also home to a breeding facility for Chow Chows.

The fire apparently started during a routine delivery of propane; a tank ignited and set the pens on fire. The propane truck driver was severely injured. Seventeen dogs died; fifteen escaped. Stewart writes on her blog:


[Karen Tracy, owner of the Pazzazz kennel] explained that dogs are her life and despite this horrific tragedy, she remains hopeful and optimistic. Her plan is to rebuild her kennels and continue on as a breeder of chows and a boarder of other dogs. In fact, she has been receiving many calls from loyal clients begging her to do so. Karen has spent the past fifteen years building her champion line of chows, producing six generations of the breed.

Stewart’s puppy, a Chow Chow named Genghis Khan, is shown here in an undated photo provided by Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia. Stewart writes that she’s ‘deeply saddened’ by the puppy’s death.

--Lindsay Barnett