Alec Baldwin drops idea of running for mayor of New York
This article was originally on a blog post platform and may be missing photos, graphics or links. See About archive blog posts.
Actor Alec Baldwin, who made headlines this month for getting kicked off a flight after tussling with a flight attendant, is in the news again — this time for announcing that he no longer aspires to become the next mayor of New York City.
Baldwin delivered the news Wednesday to (shattered?) city residents via his weekly radio show on WNYC, ‘Here’s the Thing,’ during an interview with director Stephen Daldry. ‘I’ve lost my appetite,’ Baldwin responded after Daldry said he thought the actor should run for mayor. Daldry is the director of ‘Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close,’ a film about the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.
Baldwin, never one to mince words, went on to trash the likely candidates for the 2013 race to fill outgoing Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s seat, saying: ‘I don’t see myself in that crowd.’
‘They’re all just so horny for it. Horny for their own ascension. Whereas for me, I’ve got a job now... I’ve got a good job,’ said the ’30 Rock’ star, going on to deflect a second prod from Daldry on the topic. He didn’t mention his airplane incident — which provoked a storm of negative publicity for the actor — as a reason for not wanting to subject himself to the scrutiny of a political campaign.
There was no immediate response from the declared or likely candidates, who include a media executive and the city’s former comptroller but not, so far, anyone from the entertainment industry.
— Tina Susman in New York