‘Glee’ recap: Secret Santas and Christmas miracles
This article was originally on a blog post platform and may be missing photos, graphics or links. See About archive blog posts.
For “Glee” fans who need a little Christmas, right this very minute, the show obliged on Tuesday night, bringing us a holiday episode that worshiped cheese perhaps even more than Finn did on the episode earlier in the season that dealt with actual religion.
Sure, viewers hung up on the separation-of-church-and-state issue raised by a show featuring Christmas trees and carolers in a public-school classroom might have felt tempted to throw a shoe at their TV screens. (On the bright side, at least the writers didn’t give a token nod to Hanukkah –- or have Rachel perform another song from “Yentl.”) But anyone left unmoved by Kurt and Blaine’s divine “Baby, It’s Cold Outside” duet or Rachel and Finn singing Wham!’s ‘Last Christmas,’ separated by spruces, pines and fragrant firs, might just need a visit from the ghosts of Christmases past, present and future.
Also? Tiny Tim (OK, Artie) walked! The Grinch (Sue) gave Christmas back! Santa (Coach Beiste) has never been more charming and full of heart! And Brittany rocked those Cindy Lou Who braids!
Bottom line? It may not have been the most wonderful episode of the year, but it did feature moments that twinkled and shined like the lovingly trimmed family tree.
In that spirit, I’ll just hang a few thoughts and questions out there like randomly collected ornaments:
1) Did you wonder who was singing ‘You’re a Mean One, Mr. Grinch’ as a green-faced Sue and her adorably reindog-oufitted sidekick, Becky, decimated the Glee tree, shredded their sheet music and did something mysteriously yucky to their piano? Turns out it was a guest vocal by k.d. lang. Unusual for “Glee” not to actually feature the person singing a song on the show. Did it work for you, or did it feel un-“Glee”-ful?
2) Really, how adorable was that Kurt/Blaine duet? And how nice was it to hear Kurt admit that, though the two were just friends, he was “in love with him and he’s actually gay this time’? What do you think is going to happen with those two? Will they get together? Are you rooting for them to?
3) Holy holiday miracles! The ReWalk is real! The device that Santa (or whoever –- are we sure it was Coach Bieste?) left under the tree for Artie actually exists. A quick Google search reveals that it’s undergoing clinical trials with an eye toward a worldwide commercial release, possibly very soon. As Artie said, it’s made by a company in Israel, Argo Medical Technologies, that, according to its website, “develops and markets walk restoration devices for people with lower limb disabilities. The company’s flagship ReWalk product offers an ambulation alternative to wheelchair users, enabling paralyzed people to stand, walk and even climb stairs.” To paraphrase Dickens, ‘Glee’ bless us, everyone!
4) Should Finn forgive Rachel for making out with Puck? Should he be madder at Puck for making out with Rachel? Do you like the show better when Finn and Rachel are together or apart? Are you getting sick of seeing Rachel singing crestfallen ballads standing smack in the center of the school stage?
5) What was the biggest laugh line of the night? A) Will’s gift list for Sue: “1) robot dog, 2) a soul”; B) Santana’s exclamation on Santa’s lap, “Please tell me that is a roll of Certs in your pocket”; C) Brittany telling the elf, “Just know you have rights”; D) “Can you believe it? Six different people got Sue a Shake Weight”; E) Something else.
6) How will we survive without “Glee” until it returns in a post-Super Bowl episode, on Feb. 6?
Please garland the comments section with your thoughts!
-- Amy Reiter