Needy Offered Help Applying for Tax Rebate

Low-income senior citizens and disabled residents in the 59th Assembly District can receive help in applying for homeowner and renter assistance from field representatives of Assemblyman Charles M. Calderon (D-Alhambra).

The state will reimburse those who qualify for assistance for either a portion of their property taxes or a portion of their rent.

From May 20 to July 5, assistance will be available from 9 a.m. to noon Wednesdays at the Montebello Senior Citizen Center, 115 S. Taylor Ave., and 9 a.m. to noon Thursdays at the Pico Rivera Service Center, 6767 S. Passons Blvd.

To qualify, property owners must have lived in their homes on Dec. 31, 1984. To qualify for renters' assistance, tenants must have lived in their residences for all or part of 1984 and paid $50 a month or more in rent.

Both homeowners and renters must have received less than $12,000 in household income and be age 62 or older or disabled.

Applicants should bring landlord's address and telephone number, a copy of the 1984 property tax bill, income tax records, proof of age or disability and any pertinent forms received in the mail. Deadline for filing is Sept. 3.

After July 5, assistance will be available by appointment at Calderon's district office at 1712 W. Beverly Blvd., Suite 202, in Montebello.

Copyright © 2019, Los Angeles Times
EDITION: California | U.S. & World