A group claimed French champagne is tainted.
The toxic anti-freeze at the center of Austria’s wine scandal has been found in French champagne sold in Austria, the country’s Consumers Assn. said. Diethylene glycol is a de-icing agent which sweetens wine if added to alcohol. In excessive amounts, it can cause kidney and brain damage. The association said tests showed 73 to 1,083 milligrams per liter of the chemical in some leading brands of French champagne. More than 30 milligrams per litre can endanger health. French champagne makers denied the charge.