Advertisement

The World

The International Committee of the Red Cross has shut down its operations in southern Lebanon after the abduction last month of a Red Cross worker, a spokeswoman said in Beirut. “All our expatriates in south Lebanon have been pulled out,” she said. “But we continue to work normally in the rest of the country.” After the Nov. 17 abduction of Swiss worker Peter Winkler, 32, by unidentified armed men in Sidon, the Red Cross said it was suspending operations only in that city. However, it later indicated it would close down throughout the south if he were not freed by Dec. 3.


Advertisement
Advertisement