Authorities are investigating a report that a professional killer from Los Angeles may have entered the country last month to assassinate President Corazon Aquino, a newspaper reported today.
The nationally circulated Philippine Daily Inquirer quoted police sources as saying a 50-year-old, unidentified professional killer arrived in the country from the United States last month and was to have attempted the assassination between May 15 and 20.
But the plot was discovered through a tip from an informant in San Francisco, the newspaper said. The assassin is still believed to be in the country, it said. The newspaper did not specify which group reportedly hired the would-be killer.