San Diego State launched its new marketing campaign Monday in an attempt to increase attendance at Aztec home football games.
The theme is "Welcome to the School of Hard Knocks," and the campaign includes promotions for each of the Aztecs' six home games as well as schedule posters and cards with the "Clash Schedule" and a special mailing to SDSU alumni encouraging them to purchase season football tickets by enrolling in the "Aztecs' Refresher Course--Six Saturdays, No Final Exam."
"We are going to add to the fun of an Aztec football evening with promotions and activities around each home game," said Jayne Hancock, associate director of athletics.
To that end, here is the SDSU home schedule, along with corresponding promotions:
* Sept. 15, Cal State Long Beach--Fans will receive a free slice of pizza if the 49ers and Aztecs combine to score higher than Cal State Long Beach Coach George Allen's age (72). There will be George Allen trivia contests throughout the game on the DiamondVision scoreboard, fireworks after the game, and mascot Monty Montezuma's new pregame entrance will debut on this night.
* Sept. 29, Air Force--There will be a paper airplane toss before the game. Hit a target, win a prize. There will also be a postgame concert.
* Nov. 3, Utah--Homecoming and free pompons.
* Nov. 10, Hawaii--It's beach party night. Fans will be asked to wear beach clothes, which will make them look like the band. The scoreboard will feature beach music and beach movie clips.
* Nov. 24, Texas-El Paso--A country carnival will begin at San Diego Jack Murphy Stadium at 3 p.m. The scoreboard will feature country and western music and Western movie clips.
* Dec. 1, Miami--This is "Salute to College Football Night," and a fireworks and laser show will take place after the game against defending national champion Miami.