A concert version of Mozart’s “Die Entfuhrung aus dem Serail” and three Mozart operas performed by the Salzburg Marionette Theatre will be among the events sponsored by the Orange County Philharmonic Society in 1991 to commemorate the bicentennial of Mozart’s death.
Christof Perick will conduct the Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra in a concert version of “Die Entfuhrung,” with soloists to be announced, on March 6, and the Salzburg Marionettes will perform “Die Zauberflote,” “Don Giovanni” and “Le Nozze di Figaro” in December, 1991 (exact dates to be announced).
Additional new events will include five chamber music programs given by the Angeles Quartet and a five-part lecture series by UC Irvine professor Robert Garfias and USC professor James Hanshumaker.
Previously announced concerts by the Mozarteum Orchestra of Salzburg, the Vienna Chamber Orchestra and the Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra will complete the yearlong observance.
Concerts will be divided between the Orange County Performing Arts Center in Costa Mesa and the Irvine Barclay Theatre in Irvine. For ticket prices and further information, call the Philharmonic Society at (714) 646-6277.
* Jan. 24: Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra; Iona Brown, conductor; Barry Douglas, piano; Performing Arts Center.
* Feb. 6: First of five lectures; Robert Garfias and James Hanshumaker, lecturers; location to be announced.
* Feb. 25: Mozarteum Orchestra of Salzburg; Hans Graf, conductor; Ernst Kovacic, violin; Center.
* Feb. 26: Angeles Quartet and Donald McInnes, violist; Irvine Barclay Theatre.
* Feb. 27: Lecture 2; location to be announced.
* March 4: Mozarteum Orchestra; Graf, conductor; Steven Lubin, piano; Center.
* March 6: Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra; Christof Perick, conductor; Irvine. Concert version of “Die Entfuhrung aus dem Serail.”
* March 10: L.A. Chamber Orchestra; Perick, conductor; Jeffrey Kahane, piano; Irvine.
* March 20: Lecture 3, location to be announced.
* April 3: Angeles Quartet and Peter Orth, piano; Irvine.
* April 10: Lecture 4, location to be announced.
* April 24: Lecture 5, location to be announced.
* May 3: Vienna Chamber Orchestra; Philippe Entremont, conductor and pianist; Center.
* June 11: Angeles Quartet and Michele Zukovsky, clarinet; Irvine.
Dates to be announced at the Irvine Barclay Theatre:
* September: Angeles Quartet and Kahane, piano.
* November: Angeles Quartet and Heiichiro Ohyama, viola.
* December: Salzburg Marionette Theatre.