Advertisement

The Sidelines : IBF Title Challenge Canceled

From Times Wire Services

A planned February title fight between International Boxing Federation junior welterweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez and Santos Cardona has been canceled because of a scheduling conflict.

British promoter Frank Warren announced earlier this month that Chavez, a Mexican who is undefeated in 73 fights, would defend his title Feb. 2 at the London Arena against Cardona.

But a spokesman for Warren said today the fight was put off because Chavez had signed to defend his IBF and World Boxing Council titles against American Lonnie Smith in Las Vegas on March 18. Chavez and Smith will fight on the undercard of the Mike Tyson-Razor Ruddock heavyweight bout.

Warren spokesman Frank Burke said Chavez and Cardona may still fight in London after March 18.

Advertisement


Advertisement