Advertisement

California IN BRIEF : SAN DIEGO : Hotel Patron Died After Repair Work

From Times Staff and Wire Reports

Less than a month before a faulty heater in a room in a local hotel caused the death of a Canadian volleyball player, a maid said she smelled gas in the room and reported it to hotel management, an investigator said. Sgt. Frank Barone of the San Diego Metro Arson Strike Team said maintenance records for Room 329 at the Mission Valley Inn show that on Dec. 9, after the maid reported her suspicions, a maintenance employee repaired the room’s malfunctioning gas wall heater. No one occupied the room until Cory Louis Korosi, 21, and Henry Kim Wong, 20, checked in Dec. 26, Barone said. On New Year’s Day, Korosi was found dead and Wong unconscious as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning. Deputy District Atty. Dan Lamborn said his office has decided no gross criminal negligence was found.


Advertisement