About 125,000 Cuban refugees, seeking asylum, are brought to the United States by boat. Miami, the closest major American city, set up temporary shelters to house the refugees.
OK, just to see if you have been paying attention, here is a Pan American Games pop quiz:
1. Entertainment at the opening ceremony was provided by: (a) Bolivia Newton-John. (b) Argentina Turner. (c) The Bahamas and the Papas. (d) Reggae Jackson.
2. The first event, the marathon, was won by someone named: (a) Alberto Cuba. (b) Fernando Venezuela. (c) Alberto Estados Unidos. (d) Pheippides Cuba.
3. Cuba's major concern was: (a) Making sure the boats in the yachting competition came back. (b) Arming the right people in the shooting competition. (c) Teaching the United States a thing or two about roller hockey. (d) Getting all those pigs out of the bay.
4. Every stadium here bore the slogan: (a) "Sport is the right of the people." (b) "You don't have to play a sport good to be a good sport." (c) "Do well or else." (d) "Support the Runnin' Rebels."
5. Next, Havana hopes to play host to: (a) Super Bowl Treinta. (b) The '96 Democratic Convention. (c) The Pot-Am Games. (d) Jose Canseco's comeback trip to show Madonna his apartment.