Good Odds for Heavy Rain as 1st of 2 Storms Moves In

TIMES STAFF WRITER

Strong winds and a good chance of heavy showers are predicted for the Southland today as the first of two slow-moving Pacific storms finally comes ashore.

The latest data indicates that one storm system will begin to move toward the coast, bringing a 30% chance of rain this morning and a 70% chance by the afternoon. The potential for showers should continue through Friday.

Partly cloudy skies are forecast for the beginning of the weekend, but the chance of rain will increase again on Saturday night and Sunday as the second storm hits the coast. National Weather Service officials say rainfall could be heavy at times.

On Wednesday, high clouds in advance of the first storm covered much of the Southland. Temperatures were on the mild side with readings mainly in the 60s. A few low 70s were reported along the coast and in some valley areas. Santa Ana had a 72.

Highs ranged from the 50s in northern deserts to the low 70s in the southern areas. Daytime mountain temperatures were in the 30s and 40s. A chilly 38 was recorded at Lake Arrowhead.

The National Weather Service has issued a wind advisory for the mountain areas north of Los Angeles County as the first storm heads this way. Gusts of up to 60 m.p.h. were reported in Bear Valley, and winds were clocked at 40 m.p.h. in Sandberg.

Copyright © 2019, Los Angeles Times
EDITION: California | U.S. & World
65°