Brad Fullmer, Montclair Prep’s slugging infielder, was meeting late Wednesday night with Montreal Expos’ scout Scott Stanley, who said the team was going in with its final offer to Fullmer, the team’s second-round pick.
Stanley said the Expos want to have Fullmer report to instructional league in Florida on Monday. The Expos lose the rights to Fullmer as soon as he attends his first class at Stanford, which is scheduled for Sept. 25.
A sticking point appears to be Fullmer’s desire to attend Stanford. If he rejects the baseball scholarship to sign with the Expos, Fullmer would not be admitted to Stanford as a non-athlete, sources said.
The Expos previously offered Fullmer a bonus of more than $400,000 plus money for college, sources said.
The Expos had four selections in the first two rounds. Their first-round pick, outfielder Chris Schwab of Eagan, Minn., agreed to a $425,000 bonus.
The area’s other three second-round picks have already signed. Crespi right-hander Jeff Suppan signed with the Boston Red Sox for a $190,000 bonus. Newbury Park shortstop David Lamb signed for $200,000 with the Baltimore Orioles and Hoover catcher Nate Dishington signed for $200,000 with the St. Louis Cardinals.
A left-handed batter, Fullmer hit .568 with 15 home runs and 62 runs batted in for the Mounties during his senior year. He finished his career with 30 home runs and 130 RBIs, both school records. The career RBI total also stands as a Southern Section best.