Hantavirus Case Confirmed in Las Vegas Worker
Clark County’s first hantavirus victim, a Las Vegas construction worker who recovered from the deadly disease, has been confirmed by the state Health Division.
Dr. Randy Todd, state epidemiologist, also said Friday that Washoe County health officials are investigating a possible hantavirus case involving a Vya-area woman, who also survived.
Todd said tests confirmed that the Las Vegas man was infected with the Muerto Canyon virus, which caused the hantavirus. He could have been exposed outside the county, possibly while working on building projects, Todd said.
“The investigation is continuing, so we don’t know yet whether his job was a factor,” Todd said. “It’s something we’re considering in our investigation.”
Nevada has one reported hantavirus death, a Sparks man who died suddenly in October. Two other Nevadans also got the virus but survived.