Singles’ Holiday Services
Here are some organizations and synagogues that make a special effort to welcome singles to their religious services and after-service functions. These groups hold services at varying times on Erev Rosh Hashanah Monday evening, Sept. 5, and on Rosh Hashanah day, Sept. 6. Some synagogues also have services for the second day of Rosh Hashanah on Sept. 7. They all hold services again on Yom Kippur Eve (Kol Nidre) on Wednesday, Sept. 14, and throughout the day on Yom Kippur, Sept. 15.
Call for reservations and times.
* Aish HaTorah, 9106 W. Pico Blvd., Los Angeles. Orthodox rabbis offer two teaching services: for twentysomething singles, $18; and for singles 30 and up, $60. Also, traditional Orthodox service for $72 at Aish headquarters. (310) 278-8672.
* The CHAI Center. Services led by an Orthodox rabbi, but designed to be accessible to those who are less religious, with prayers in English and humorous Hasidic stories. Services at the Pacific Hollywood Theatre, 6433 Hollywood Blvd., Los Angeles. Jewish New Year’s party after Rosh Hashanah services Sept. 5 at 8 p.m. No tickets needed. Free. (310) 391-7995.
* Congregation Kol Ami. Progressive/reform. Services at Temple Akiba, 5249 S. Sepulveda Blvd., Culver City. Services draw about 60% gay men, lesbians and bisexuals. $150 for all services; $50 per service. (213) 656-6093.
* Havurat Olamim Temple for the Single Community. Reform, with Conservative elements. Services at the Holiday Inn Bayview Plaza, Ocean Penthouse Ballroom, 530 W. Pico Blvd., Santa Monica. $50 for all services, $36 for one or two services. Includes a Yom Kippur buffet Sept. 15 after services at 6:30 p.m. (310) 289-3169.
* The Hebrew Academy’s adult education program sponsors services for Young Leadership in Action, a program of the Jewish Federation of Greater Long Beach and West Orange County. Lubavitch. Services at Seaport Marina Hotel, 6400 Pacific Coast Highway, Long Beach. Free. No tickets needed. (310) 426-7601.
* Jewish Singles Meeting Place. Creative/participatory. Services at the Kadima Hebrew Academy, 5717 Rudnick Ave., Woodland Hills. $25 for all services. (818) 780-4809.
* The Shul, a storefront gathering place established by Congregation Beth Shirah. Services at the Olympic Collection, Imperial Ballroom, 11301 W. Olympic Blvd., West Los Angeles. $80 per person for all services; $70 per person for two services or more, children under 12 free. (310) 479-3113.
* Temple Shalom for the Arts. Liberal, yet traditional. Services at the Wilshire Theatre, 8440 Wilshire Blvd., Beverly Hills. A Tashlich ceremony (casting off sins by symbolically throwing crumbs into a body of water) will be held Sept. 6 at the Santa Monica Pier after services about 1 p.m. Yom Kippur guest lecture Sept. 15 from 3 to 5 p.m. $100 for all services. (310) 395-3680.
* Valley Outreach Synagogue. Reform. Services at Mormon Stake Center, 11315 White Oak Ave., Granada Hills. Attracts older singles in their 40s and 50s. $95 for all services. $125 to become a temple member, with tickets to all services. (818) 348-4867.