A series of small fires that were blamed on an electrical malfunction forced hundreds of guests to flee the smoke-filled 54-story New York Palace hotel. No one was seriously hurt, but at least 54 people, including 26 firefighters, suffered minor injuries, officials said. Thirteen people were hospitalized. Guests emerging into the chilly morning air stayed warm in doormen's coats and waiters' jackets grabbed by employees from the supply room. The hotel had about 750 guests overnight, but some had already checked out or left on business.