Advertisement

MOVIES

<i> Arts and entertainment reports from The Times, national and international news services and the nation's press</i>

Still in Orbit: “Apollo 13" had no trouble landing in the No. 1 spot at the box office for the fourth week in row during the weekend. The Universal film starring Tom Hanks grossed an estimated $12.3 million, pushing the movie’s earnings past the coveted $100-million mark to $111 million and making it director Ron Howard’s most financially successful film. In second place was Paramount’s new comedy “Clueless” with $10.6 million, according to early estimates. 20th Century Fox’s “Nine Months,” starring Hugh Grant, took in $9.9 million for third. Warner Bros.’ “Under Siege 2: Dark Territory” was fourth with $8.8 million and the studio’s new release, “Free Willy 2: The Adventure Home,” was fifth with $7 million. But the big news at the box office was nowhere near the top five. “Kids,” the controversial film from Shining Excalibur Pictures that opened on only two screens in New York City, took in a whopping $85,000 and broke house records in both theaters in which it played. The movie opens in 14 cities including Los Angeles on Friday.

PEOPLE WATCH

Down the Aisle: The colors were raspberry and black when Tom Arnold married 22-year-old ex-cheerleader Julie Lynne Champnella in a Jewish ceremony on Saturday in Dearborn, Mich. Arnold Schwarzenegger and Bruce Willis were among the 600 invited guests and at least 100 guards maintained security. Chris Farley of “Saturday Night Live” was best man for Roseanne’s ex. Arnold, 36, and his new wife met last year.

Down to Court: Actress Joanne Whalley-Kilmer, actor Val Kilmer’s wife, has filed for divorce citing irreconcilable differences. Kilmer, star of “Batman Forever,” and his wife have been married for seven years and are the parents of 5-week-old Jack and 3 1/2-year-old Mercedes.

Advertisement

LEGAL FILE

Sly Suit: Sylvester Stallone said that a lawsuit accusing him of roughing up a TV cameraman is nothing more than a nuisance claim from someone “trying to extract money.” But Cesar Santos contended in a $550,000 federal civil suit filed Friday in San Juan that he was stopped on the set of Stallone’s movie “Assassins” last week in Puerto Rico, and assaulted and harassed by the actor and his four bodyguards. Santos also said his videotape was seized. “He was on the set illegally. We asked to see the tape,” Stallone said. The tape was later returned to the station for which Santos works.

Barred: A man who claimed to have fathered two children by singer Whitney Houston has been permanently barred from contacting her. Charles Gilberg was “manipulative and broadly intimidating,” a Superior Court judge in Morristown, N.J., said Friday as he issued the permanent injunction--he issued a temporary restraining order against the same man last September. Gilberg, 37, was accused of sending messages to Houston, getting into an argument with her mother, Cissy, and writing postcards to Cissy Houston’s church about his alleged love affair with her daughter.

Orders of the Court: Darren (Dizzy) Reed of the rock group Guns N’ Roses was convicted of drunken driving in a Ventura courtroom, although another band member, drummer Sean Riggs, testified during the trial that he was at the wheel. Reed was placed on three years’ probation and ordered to pay a $1,515 fine, do 40 hours of community service and take alcohol awareness classes. . . . A lawsuit by four ex-guards who claim singer Michael Jackson fired them because they knew about his alleged trysts was thrown out of L.A. Superior Court on Friday. The men sued in 1993 despite the fact they had signed a release after they were fired in which they promised not to take legal action.

Advertisement

POP/ROCK

Drownings at Concert: Two teen-agers drowned in a fast-moving river during a weekend R.E.M. concert on the grounds of an Irish castle outside of Dublin. Some 70,000 people attended the Saturday concert at the 18th-Century Slane Castle. The first drowning occurred soon after the concert began when three fans got into trouble in the fast-flowing Boyne River. Rescuers pulled two to safety but the third, an 18-year-old from Dublin, drowned. Saturday night, a second teen was dragged from the river but died.

QUICK TAKES

Osmond brother Wayne Osmond, 43, is up and walking again after a 12-hour operation to remove a malignant tumor at the base of his brain. His doctor says he should make a good recovery. No word yet on when he’ll rejoin his brothers at the Osmond Family Theater in Branson, Mo. . . . The English band Elastica has been chosen to take the Lollapalooza ’95 slot vacated by Sinead O’Connor, who left last week because she’s pregnant. . . . Father-and-son filmmakers Philip and Peter Kaufman and their San Francisco-based production company, Walrus and Assoc., Ltd., have signed with the William Morris Agency. Philip has written and/or directed such films as “The Right Stuff,” “Henry & June” and “The Unbearable Lightness of Being"; Peter produced “Henry & June” and “The Rising Sun.”


Advertisement